Helpful Home Security and Safety Tips
Inside your Home
Professional burglars take just seven seconds to decided whether your home is an easy target or not and, once inside, knows exactly what they are looking for.
- Ensure your doors have adequate locks. Fit deadlocks to all outside doors (make sure the deadlock key isn’t kept in an obvious place!) and fit a security chain to the front door.
- Secure all your sliding glass doors with metal bar or wooden dowel placed in the door track.
- Close and lock your doors and windows – even if you are only going out for a short time.
- Don’t leave valuables (handbags, valets, keys, mobile phones, etc) in sight thought windows where burglars can see them.
- Remove keys from their locks and ensure they are put away, even if you are at home.
- Ensure that all ground and basement windows are fitted with locks.
- Never leave door keys under a doormat or plant pot outside.
- Use a security marker pen to mark your postcode on your property – this will enable the place to return any stolen property to you. Make an inventory and keep the list in a safe place.
- Light up inside your home – ensure that you have appropriate lighting and set some internal lights on timer switches. This is one of the most cost-effective deterrent to burglary as it gives the impression that a home is occupied.
- Secure important documents and valuable items in a safe place within your home or deposit them in a bank.
- Invest in a monitored home security alarm – intruder systems are an effective deterrent.
Additional Safety Tips
Click on the links below to discover other important safety tips.