Pet poisons easily missed at home
Pets are much more than just our four-legged friends, they’re a part of our family. We’d never want anything to hurt them and take pet care very seriously. But what we often don’t realise is just how many pet poisons are under our own roof. Many garden and household items you’d think are pet friendly can have grave effects if ingested by animals. Here’s our list of common animal poisons and ways to prevent pets getting their paws on them.
Common household pet poisons
- Chocolate and liquorice
- Grapes, raisins and sultanas
- Lilies and daffodils
- Slug pellets
- Aspirin or paracetamol
- Wax candles or crayons
Ways to prevent pet poisoning
Keep poisons out of the way
This may seem obvious, but pet-owners will know it’s easier said than done. Our pets seem to get almost anywhere they put their mind to. Keep any hazardous items in high cupboards your pets can’t climb up to, or lock them away to be completely safe.
Look for the signs
If the worst should happen and your pet does encounter a poison, be sure to look for the signs so you can catch it early. This could include coughing, drooling, difficulty breathing or unconsciousness for inhaled poisons. Vomiting, diarrhoea, disorientation, dilated pupils and ulcers for swallowed poisons. Excessive scratching or licking, swelling, red skin, and agitation for contact poisons. If you notice any of these symptoms, get in touch with your vet right away.
Know for sure
Keep an eye on your pet when you’re not home by installing a pet friendly camera. That way if your pet does ingest something poisonous it’s easy to scroll through the footage and discover exactly what it was. ADT Smart Home is pet sensitive, so your alarm won’t trigger when you’re out,but you’ll still get a clear picture.
Be vigilant on walks
If you’re walking your pets in areas heavy with litter, be careful when you let them off the leash. Something as simple as some discarded fruit or a half-finished chocolate bar can be easily ingested.