If you’re thinking of buying a new home, there are plenty of things to consider. But one factor that often gets overlooked is how secure an area – or a specific property – is.
To help you look in the right place for your dream property, and ensure you’re safe once you move in, here’s a quick checklist to follow:
During your search
• Check out the local crime figures with our Crime in my area tool, which uses police crime data to give you the full picture
• Ask people in the area for their thoughts on life there. No one knows a place like a local!
• Take a good look around the area, especially at night. This will give you a feel for how safe you’d feel living there
On moving in day
• You never know who has copies of the keys so for peace of mind, change the locks and keys. Consider getting a restricted key system, which only a locksmith can supply
• If your new house has a security system, get the code and operating manual from the previous owners and bring yourself up to speed with it as quickly as possible
• Sort your home insurance out ASAP so you can rest easy knowing you’re covered
After you’ve moved in
• If your new home doesn’t have an alarm system, make it a priority to get one as soon as possible
• If the windows and doors are old and could prove easy pickings for burglars, replace them with new ones
For more hints and tips, read our full Moving home document.
ADT home security
Every ADT home alarm system is monitored. Choose one of our monitoring packages, and when your alarm is triggered we contact you, your keyholders - and even the police - giving you time to secure your property
From 99p*per day
ADT Smart Home
Combining the latest in security and home automation technology, ADT Smart Home lets you connect and manage your smart home security through your smartphone, tablet or PC – anytime, anywhere.
From 89p*per day