New Year is a chance to look back on the previous 12 months and ahead to the future. That’s why so many of us still make New Year’s resolutions. Some pledges won’t make it past a week (especially with all those tempting Christmas treats still in the house) but good intentions can still go a long way. And starting the new year with a few simple security resolutions is a great way to get into good habits for 2019 and beyond.
- Still leaving a spare house key in that clever hiding place? Now’s the time to stop. Burglars know exactly where to look and there’s no easier way to break into your house. Leave a key with a neighbour instead.
- Give your keyholes a regular clean. It may sound strange but a dusty keyhole tells a professional thief that you don’t use your deadlocks, making you an easier target.
- Make sure you keep your sheds locked and tidy anything away that could be used to break into your home. Burglars don’t want to be caught with tools so will often improvise with found objects.
- TVs deter thieves more than lights, so either leave yours on if you’re going out for the evening or put it on a timer to come on intermittently during a longer absence.
- Cars on a drive also put burglars off. If you’re taking yours with you for any length of time then it’s worth asking neighbours to park on your drive while you’re away.
- A pile of mail on your doormat is a giveaway sign that you’re away but so is a bin that hasn’t been put out. Ask a neighbour with a key to take care of both.
- Finally, while it’s tempting to post holiday snaps on social media, it’s best to wait until you get back. Cyber-stalkers actively look for the addresses of people who advertise their empty homes online.
The great thing about these tips is that they won’t cost you a penny. But if they’ve made you think about your safety more seriously then why not talk to ADT about our state-of-the-art range of home security products and services. From cameras that allow you to check on your property remotely via our ADT Smart Home app, to monitoring systems that makes sure your alarm is never ignored, we’ll make your security our top priority.